Friday, February 24, 2006

I'll Follow The Sun

AUTHORSHIP McCartney (1.00)
LENNON: "That's Paul again. Can't you tell? I mean - 'Tomorrow may rain so I'll follow the sun.' That's another early McCartney, you know, written almost before the Beatles, I think. He had a lot of stuff. . ." September 1980, All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono

McCARTNEY: "I remember writing that in our front living room at Forthlin Road on my own so that's pretty much all mine. On the record we got Ringo to tape his knees. We were thinking in terms of singles and the next one had to always be different. We didn't want to fall into the Supremes trap where they all sounded rather similar, so to that end, we were always keen on having varied instrumentation. Ringo couldn't keep changing his drum kit, but he could change his snare, tap a cardboard box or slap his knees. There were certain songs I had from way back that I didn't really finish up, but they were in the back of my mind. . . . 'I'll Follow The Sun' was one of those." Paul McCartney: Many Years from Now

McCARTNEY: "John and I wrote this one some while ago, but we changed the middle eight bars before we actually recorded it." The Beatles Off the Record: Outrageous Opinions & Unrehearsed Interviews

RECORDED
October 18, 1964, at Abbey Road

INSTRUMENTATION
McCARTNEY: acoustic guitar, lead vocal (occassionally double-tracked)
LENNON: acoustic guitar, harmony vocal
HARRISON: lead guitar
STARR: packing case

McCARTNEY: "John and I sang it, and Ringo played the top of a packing case instead of his drums this time. Just for a change, you know." The Beatles Off the Record: Outrageous Opinions & Unrehearsed Interviews

COMMENTS BY BEATLES
LENNON: "A nice one." Hit Parader (April 1972)

No comments: