Sunday, October 12, 2008

Paul McCartney and the Beatles' Break-Up

An article from today's Times Online: McCartney broke up Beatles at Scottish retreat
Sir Paul McCartney decided to quit the Beatles and sue his former bandmates while walking on a beach near his home on the Mull of Kintyre, according to a new book.
One thing the article neglects to mention is that John's announcement that he was leaving the Beatles in an Apple business meeting in September 1969 was probably the biggest factor in Paul's decision, of which he informed John on April 9, 1970:

JOHN: "I received a phone call from Paul on Thursday afternoon. He said, 'I'm going to leave the Beatles as well.' I was happy to hear from Paul. It was nice to find that he was still alive! Anyway, Paul hasn't left . . . I sacked him."

PAUL: "When people say I let it out, it was actually months after we had broken up. No one was saying anything and I was putting out this crazy press releases with the McCartney album because Peter Brown said to me, 'We need some press on this. You'd better do something,' and I didn't want to be interviewed. I didn't feel secure enough to do that. So I said, 'Okay, we'll do a question and answer thing.' So I said to Peter, 'Write me out a questionnaire of what you think they'd ask me.' He wrote it all out and I just filled it all in, like a questionnaire, and it all came out weird."

No comments: